Friday, January 25, 2008

'Poet'- A jargon...!!


I came across an interesting jargon used by B-schools of America…. ‘Poet’ student who is not strong in quant…!! Prima facie it seemed alright to me…. But if actually alright why would I think and be curious…. Till the time I was in school I never liked poems, literature etc and on contrary I loved all analytical subjects with well defined logic and scientific facts and figures…. But the work of Kahlil influenced me so deeply that I got real interest towards literature, parables, poems, stories etc… I can read text on any subject, but very few things hold my interest… mostly it is spiritual or philosophical, contemporary and generic in nature…. A piece of text or line which cam be implied in any context around us or a text to which we can co relate our self….!! What ever books I have read till now I can classify those authors in three generic categories- first category where author use language which is rich in literature and uses simile and metaphor; much focused on peripheral cosmetics that subjects gets dim in glittering jazzy language…. other peculiar style of this category author is to repeat the ‘same’ thing in 10 different ways…..!! Second category comprises of authors where language is plain vanilla and subject is presented on black board with white chalk, this give us taste of bland curry which is consume only when people get prescription i.e. as and when needed… And the third category is of authors who knows the subject clearly and use literature and language as a tool to present the subject in best presentable way with its effectiveness all alive as well as keeping the message and subject crisp, clear and graspable. Articles and texts which fall in third category, close to reality and practicality hold my interest mostly. According to me Kahlil is on top of the list of those authors/poets, after that Paulo Coelho and then Khalid Hosini …. I have read almost all the books by these three great authors… and found a unique thing which really amazed me. Paulo Coelho and Khalid both are aware of Kahlil’s work and quote it in their books…!! Other noticeable point was similarity, I found was both the authors quotes the lines by Kahlil through the main female character of their book, viz Witch of Portebello and Thousand splendid suns respectively. Well not to loose focus from our topic poet…!! I was pondering on the jargon what poet means to me and what does it mean if one is poet and lover of quant also…. Being a poet it doesn’t mean over flooding with emotions (Like a person who wished to be poet in movie Bedazzled and starts crying when he sees sunset...!) or lacking ability for numeric analysis. Why I got attracted towards this jargon was a simple fact the contrast between the actual and given meaning to this jargon…. Analysis of logic thing is procedural and can be as crisp and clear as digital signal flow (0 or 1) but analysis of literature is non-procedural and like a analog signal (continuous + & -)…. Some poets they have knack to write in an analytical way rather you can call it ability to write in introspective way…Myself being a person who always liked quant and science plus working in Banking-finance domain as well as I like reading and writing poem… In other words the inference of jargon that a person who is not strong is quant is poet doesn’t appeal me…. !!

No comments: