Friday, July 20, 2007

How difficult it is to understand others and accept them?


It took me sometime when I planned to start blogging and when I actually started; the only reason was I never want to make personal things public…. And now also, when I am quoting the incidence I don’t want to reveal the names… But to write anything some kind of personal tint is needed… isn’t it…?
One day I was listening to hot argumentative conversation between two of my friends. And both of them are good at convincing others about their point of view when they talk. But I had never seen both of them convincing each other and landed up in big argument. The talk was going around for getting admission in IITs and landed up in their present company where they are working. I was silently listening to their conversation without interrupting them because both were very passionate about their views.
The sentence which forced me to think was, one guy said, “While preparing for engineering entrance exam I put my best but I didn’t get through IIT and same with placement in my college, therefore what I am today is the best I have done for myself”. Where as other guy said, “I really didn’t put my optimal effort otherwise IITs are not beyond reach, and I didn’t take my placements seriously so where I am today is fine with me”.
After the above statements they narrowed their discussion to the approached which they were calling “FOCUSED”. One denied the fact that if we are preparing for entrance exam no one can question us that we are NOT focused…..!! Where as other emphasized that it doesn’t matter what we are doing.. What matters is how one is doing and how much we are ‘Focused’…!!
After the end of their discussion there was no common consensus and I being a silent listener some kind of opinion was asked implicitly but at that point I was not very sure about my opinion and kept myself totally detached. And later, I concluded that the argument between them was not just the reflection of their views about the topic rather that was reflection about their feelings and expression. The whole discussion was lacking the acceptance and the very reason which I could think of is blockage with vision. I was relating this with the story of ‘Seven Blind Men and An Elephant’ where all seven men were touching different parts of elephant’s ears, tail, leg etc etc and one declares elephant is like fan as he touched ear, other declared its like rope as he touched tail and so on…. And what happens as a result that they believe that elephant is what they realize, and they will never have common consensus on elephants shape…. Here also, the first person is believer that ‘Sky has limit’ so has he… and confirms that he puts his best what ever he does and explores his capabilities and potentials. Where as second person knows and believe that he has lot more unexplored potential, for him sky has no limits, he is just seeing the part of sky but not putting the effort to pervade the limit.
Therefore, in lack of “Clear and Broader Vision” we tend to behave like blind person…!! We don’t put our feet in others shoe and visualize from others perspective…and land up in arguments when the object is clear and no discrepancy is there to accept others feeling, understand our own self and express it…!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally Agreed, Blockage of mind is biggest limitation, we can have for our self. Completely true in all facets of life....