Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Stem Cell Team Won 2007 Nobel for Medicine

Nobel Prize for Medicine has been announced yesterday 8-Oct-2007. Sometime back, I was thinking what are the latest works going on in the field of Medicine…. Though I am completely out of touch with this field since quite long time, still I try to keep myself updated; I do some amount of reading related to this field, as and when time permits. Couple of month’s back I was reading about Stem cells and posted an article in blog as well. Today, when I saw Noble Laureate who have won the Prize for Medicine whose area of work was Stem cell, made me feel that I am still not out of touch with this field…! Mario Capecchi, Martin Evans and Oliver Smithies won the 2007 Nobel Prize for Medicine or Physiology for their work on stem cells…!! The prestigious 10 million Swedish crown (1.54 million USD) prize recognized the international team's work on introducing genetic changes in mice using embryonic stem cells. "Gene targeting in mice has pervaded all fields of biomedicine. Its impact on the understanding of gene function and its benefits to mankind will continue to increase over many years to come," Sweden's Karolinska Institute, said in awarding the prize bearing the name of 19th century dynamite inventor Alfred Nobel. Capecchi was born in Italy and is a US citizen. Both Evans and Smithies are British-born. Evans is a Briton while Smithies is a US citizen. Medicine is traditionally the first of the Nobels awarded each year. For complete article click here

No comments: